Those of you present at the IATA Fuel Forum or JIG Members’ Technical Forum this month may have been surprised to learn that the EI issues CoAs. Unlike the certificates you may usually associate with that acronym, the EI’s are a little less analytical.
The EI has recognised the contributions of our current Aviation Committee Chairman with the award of a Certificate of Appreciation. The citation reads ‘Certificate of Appreciation awarded to Anthony Kitson-Smith in recognition of his much valued services as Chairman of the Aviation Committee, 2015-2016, and significant contribution to the field of aviation fuel quality and handling.’
The nomination details that were submitted were a little more expansive:
The EI’s Aviation Committee rotates its Chair between member companies every two years. During 2015-16 the Chair has been held by Anthony Kitson-Smith (representing VITOL Aviation). During that relatively short period Anthony has demonstrated considerable leadership, been responsible for significantly progressing key projects, represented the EI at a number of stakeholder events and provided a significant amount of his time for committee activities. Some highlights include:
- Implementing a project prioritisation process to ensure there is mutual understanding of which are the committee’s highest priority items, and focussing available resources on their completion.
- Providing Aviation Committee updates to three IATA Fuel Forums (Barcelona, Prague, Hanoi), two UK MoD Aviation Fuels Committee meetings (London), a National Institute of Storage Tank Management conference (Orlando) and Joint Inspection Group workshops.
- Representing the EI as part of an IATA technical mission to Beijing (April 2015).
- Hosting a delegation of technical representatives from the Civil Aviation Administration of China (London, May 2016).
- Preparing EI 1535 minimum criteria to determine acceptability of additives for use in multi-product pipelines co-transporting jet fuel, 3rd edition, including chairing a technical seminar for international stakeholders and resolving a large amount of feedback from stakeholder review.
- Resolving stakeholder feedback on EI 1541 Requirements for internal protective coating systems used in aviation fuel handling systems, 2nd edition.
- Overseeing the issue of 7 publications.
On behalf of all of the committee members, the EI thanks Anthony for his contributions to their work over the last two years.